Component III: Regional Development (RD)
According to Article 147 of the the IPA Implementing Regulation (EC) No 718/2007, assistance under IPA Regional Development Component is granted in the following priorities:
- transport infrastructure, in particular interconnection and interoperability between national networks, and between national and trans-European networks;
- environment measures related to waste management, water supply, urban waste water and air quality; rehabilitation of contaminated sites and land; areas related to sustainable development which present environmental benefits, namely energy efficiency and renewable energy;
- operations which enhance regional competitiveness and a productive environment, and encourage creation and safeguarding of sustainable employment.
Under this component, technical assistance may be granted for preliminary studies and technical support related to eligible activities, including those necessary for their implementation. Technical assistance may also finance preparatory, management, monitoring, evaluation, information and control activities and activities to reinforce the administrative capacity for implementing the assistance under the IPA Regulation provided through this component.
For further details see http://www.delmkd.ec.europa.eu/en/bilateral-relations/eu-assistance/IPA-components.htm
Operating Structure for the IPA Regional Development Component in the Republic of Macedonia
Operating Structure for the IPA Regional Development Component in the Republic of Macedonia was established as a collection of bodies, responsible for managing and implementing the Operational Progamme for Regional Development (OPRD) in accordance with the principle of sound financial management, pursuant to point 6 of Annex A of the Framework Agreement and Article 28 of IPA Implementing Regulation (IPA IR).
According to Article 15 of the Governmental Decree on Determining Mutual Relations between the Bodies and the Structures of Decentralised Management of the First Four Components under the EU Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (OGRM No 132/2008), the list of bodies comprising the Operating Structure for the IPA Regional Development Component in the Republic of Macedonia consists of the following:
- Central Financing and Contracting Department (CFCD) – Department within the Ministry of Finance, represented by the Head of CFCD, acting as a Head of the Operating Structure;
- Relevant units/ departments within the Ministry of Transport and Communication and the Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning represented by the respective IPA Coordinators; and
- The Project Implementation Unit (PIU) within the Agency for State Roads.
Central Financing and Contracting Department will act as a Lead Body of the Operating Structure for IPA Regional Development Component, headed by the Head of the Operating Structure (HOS), solely responsible for carrying out tendering procedures, contracting, and execution of payments to contractors, as well as the accounting of projects financed under IPA.
CFCD is also responsible for monitoring the implementation of the projects concerned, as well as for the operations of the Operating Structure for IPA Regional Development Component. CFCD will also act as Secretariat of the Sectoral Monitoring Committee for IPA Regional Development Component.
Tasks related to programming, technical implementation and monitoring of IPA funded projects, were delegated by HOS to the Line Ministries, represented by IPA Coordinators, responsible for implementation of these tasks in a timely, efficient and effective manner.
In addition, the Ministry of Transport and Communications has sub-delegated tasks regarding the technical implementation of Corridor X Project to the Agency for State Roads, establishing a Project Implementation Unit, which will be responsible for implementation of the sub-delegated tasks.
The Government of Republic of Macedonia has appointed the Deputy Prime Minister in charge of Economic Affairs to act as Strategic Coordinator for Regional Development Component and Human Resources Development Component of IPA. According to Article 23 of the IPA Implementing Regulation (EC) No 718/2007, the main responsibility of the Strategic Coordinator is coordination of the assistance granted under the Regional Development and Human Resources Development Components of IPA under the responsibility of the National IPA Coordinator, but with no direct involvement in the implementation of these Components.